During my college years, I joined a small group and we studied The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman. It was eye-opening and I loved it, so when our young married Sunday school class took a test to find our love language a few years ago, I was anxious to learn my husband’s love language so I could love him better.
He swore his was physical touch but come on, what man doesn’t like physical touch? I encouraged him to dig deeper and he discovered his love language is affirmation. A kind word can send him to Cloud 9 for days while a harsh word can really affect his spirit negatively. I hate seeing my husband hurt because of careless, ugly words someone said to him, which is most often, my own words.
So I wanted to make something special to encourage him and let him know what I’m really thinking. I set it next to his bathroom sink where he sees it every morning and gets to read a little note from me. It’s easily wiped off and I can always update it with a new message the next day.
You don’t need to spend tons of money on this project and you may be able to make it for FREE! Check your closets or under beds for the supplies!
- Picture frame (any size–mine is 5×5)
- Scrapbook paper
- Scrap material for flowers (be creative! You can even hot glue more masculine decorative ideas to the frame!)
- Hot glue gun
- Printer and word processor
- Dry erase marker
1. Tear scrap material into strips and use this tutorial to twist them into flowers. Glue them to your frame.
2. Using your word processor and some fun fonts, type “I love you because…”. Print it onto your scrap paper and cut it to fit inside your frame.
3. Put it where your spouse will see it every day and write all the reasons you love him on it!